SUSTAINABILITY REPORT continued
Helping to protect the environment
• 3% improvement in energy efficiency, meeting our target. • Greenhouse gas intensity remained unchanged from 2014. • 11 sites now certified to the ISO 50001 Standard for Energy Management Systems. • Six environmental enforcement actions and two finalised from 2014 resulting in penalties of $162,000.
• Integration of Fokker into GKN environmental systems. • Expanding our global energy metering and monitoring project. • thinkWASTE! ebrochure and campaign to engage all employees in reducing waste. • Continue global deployment of ISO 50001. • Reducing energy usage, global greenhouse gas intensity and waste to landfill.
Improvement in energy e ciency (kWh per £000 sales)1 Improvement in energy efficiency 3%
per £000 sales per £000 sales 470 kWh 484 kWh
Greenhouse gas emissions
Total greenhouse gas emissions (tonnes CO2 equivalent)1 +3%
Supporting local communities
2015 performance 2016 priorities
• £1 million invested in 271 projects aimed • Launching a Formula Student website to provide support for more teams of young at supporting young people as part of engineers around the world. our global Hearts of Gold community • Maintaining the success of See Inside scheme. GKN (where school children visit GKN • Many other local community events held locations) in the UK, and expanding the around the world. initiative to China, Sweden and the US. • Launched Hearts of Gold microsite to allow GKN employees to post and share • Continue to promote other local Hearts of Gold events. their community projects. • Outstanding community involvement recognised through our annual Hearts of Gold awards.
Total emissions per £million sales (tonnes CO2 equivalent)1 No change
Scope 1: combustion of fuel (tonnes CO2 equivalent)1 -2%
Open and honest communication
• Reported GKN community involvement via new website (Hearts of Gold). • Increased publication of information and news, and enhanced social media presence.
• Maintain the flow of news and information about GKN and ensure it reaches internal and external audiences. • Expand understanding of key Groupwide technology, additive manufacturing, such as through a new microsite.
Scope 2: electricity and heat (tonnes CO2 equivalent)1 +5%
See opposite for greenhouse gas emissions methodology.
GKN plc Annual Report and Accounts 2015